I’m so excited by DNR_MYNT jewelry, by LA designer, Rachel Bagan. I dig the contrast in every piece; natural woods and metallics, clean geometric forms and whimsical shades. These chandelier earrings are so gorgeous, and her other pieces are equally as stunning. Check out the coolest friendship necklace you ever saw and these stacking rings. Right? Heck, yes.
This week has been a bit of a whirlwind. Aren’t they all? When things get a little crazy, it really helps to listen to some beautiful music. Somehow everything feels less chaotic. This week, I’ve been listening to a lot of Ólöf Arnalds. Her music transports me to a magical place, where hot springs and icy fjords meet… where little elves run among the tall grasses… where the air is always fresh and scented with sea salt.
I was invited to a Stella and Dot trunk show this week, and I must admit, I did a little bit of shopping. Tee hee! I’m generally not much of a jewelry person. I like simple pieces and accessories that don’t get in the way. Some people look amazing in big, statement necklaces, chunky rings, and big heavy cuffs. I’m not one of those people. So here I am at a jewelry show, and suddenly I’m having to tell myself to slow down! I ordered a couple of things, but I’m finding myself most looking forward to this stacking ring set. So me! Mixed metals, many ways to wear them, simple. My fingers are going to feel naked until this set arrives. Don’t look! Naked fingers!
Nielsen-Massey makes a bajillion different flavours, essences and other culinary delights. I bought their rose water to make marshmallows with. Rose water marshmallows! Anyway, I put a wee bit in my nightly cup of steamed milk, with a little bit of honey and saffron, ground cardamom and cinnamon sprinkled on top… boy howdy! Taking my Cozy Milk to a whole new level. Now to try making some pretty cocktails with it. Any other ideas? Have you tried cooking with rose water?
Since little B starts kindergarten next week, I’m trying to get myself organized by planning meals a week ahead. I haven’t read much in the way of fiction this week, but I have been cuddled up with cookbooks quite a bit. I just love Rachel Khoo’s The Little Paris Kitchen book. The recipes are easy to follow, and she has such a knack for taking these classics of French cooking, and making them fresh and exciting without doing anything drastic to them. Quite brilliant, if you ask me!
Sleep… where are you? I don’t know why I’m having a hard time sleeping this week. We had a storm one night, and I slept so profoundly and whole-heartedly, that I guess I’m done now for a while. I’m still ridiculously tired, and it shows. Thank the gods for YSL’s Touche Éclat. When time is short and I’m looking rough, I quickly dot some of this magic wand on the inner corners of my eyes, on those big ol’ puffy bags, and at the sides of my nose. Blend, blend, blend… powder, mascara, go!
Ah, blueberries. Their season is coming to an end here, and I will be so sad to see them go. I ate so many blueberries this week that I must be a powerhouse of antioxidant activity. I just picked up another 6 kilos of them this morning. I should probably get more and freeze them before they shrivel up until next year. Long live the blueberry!
With September right around the corner, I thought I would call upon some of my lovely friends to share their fall inspiration with us. I’m rather fortunate to have some of the most brilliant and creative people in my life, and I’m really excited to have them write for Fox and Rook. Alors, without further ado… meet my first guest blogger, Andrea! — Hollis
I love music and would say my life revolves around it. During the day, I manage the Coalition of Independent Music Stores and Think Indie Distribution. We handle music marketing for some of the best indie record stores across the country, and we are also a distribution company. Our focus is special or limited edition releases, created especially for indie stores. We are also one of the co-founders of Record Store Day.
I am listening to music most of the time. I think for that reason it is one of the biggest memory triggers for me, the other of course being scent. I host a weekly radio show, Spellbound (substrateradio.com), so I am always thinking about songs that would work for that. I always loved making comps for my friends and put a lot of work into the sequence and all… so with the show, I get to do that every week! As much as I love listening to music, I enjoy creating music as well. I sing and play keyboard/synths primarily.
Art, fashion and perfume are my other obsessions. All three elements inspire me and have shaped me into the person I am today. If my career wasn’t music based it would probably be in fashion; however, I would also love to work with perfume. I am quite obsessed with the science of it… either that or I would be an Egyptologist!
Favorite Fashion Moment: Whenever the 70’s does the 20’s.
Fashion Icons: Women: Kate Bush, Patti Smith, Angelica Huston, Emmanuelle Khanh Men: Nick Cave, Keith Richards, Michael Hutchence (circa KICK and earlier)
My Fashion Philosophy: A great jacket, shoes and accessories can make any outfit. I always try to choose pieces that will be well loved and well worn… the sort of things that get even better looking with age. I love black and white everything and would probably be happiest living inside an Aubrey Beardsley drawing.
My Fall Essentials:
1. Diptyque Opopanax Candle – This and their Tubereuse are my favorite candle scents ever! I also love Cire Trudon’s Ernesto. In the fall and winter I adore the smell of Opopanax mixed with a warm fire
2. Rodarte Shirt – Rodarte is one of my favorite designers. I look forward to their shows every season. This shirt is from the spring line but I will still be obsessing over this come fall. I love the cut and the graphic lines.
3. Chanel Le Vernis Alchimie – From the Fall 2013 “Superstition” collection, it’s like a precious metal melted onto your fingertips.
4. Chanel “Mystere” Les 4 Ombres Eyeshadow Palette – Beautiful shadow colors and everything you need to take you from a pretty day look to a dramatic evening eye all in one little compact!
5. Cynthia Rowley Flask Bangle – This may be the best jewelry invention EVER. I can’t believe it has taken this long!!!
6. Tom Ford Black Orchid Lipstick – I don’t think I ever leave the house without this luxurious shade of lippy.
7. Saint Laurent Star Cardigan – I would never want to take this off!
8. IOSSELLIANI Cheetah Head Earring – I love the idea of mismatching earrings and especially one really dramatic one – this is the perfect example.
9. Zoe Karssen Bat Tee – These t-shirts have a rock and roll edge but are so soft they are a dream to wear plus I get to keep alive my not-so secret goth side!
10. Maje Babbette Boot – This will probably be my go to boot this fall – they just look good with everything!
11. Byredo Oud Immortel – I am in love with everything about this perfume line. Ben Gorham, the creator, is probably one of my biggest crushes right now! Such beautiful packaging and incredible fragrances. I love wearing Seven Veils (another scent from Byredo) in the summer, but when the leaves start to turn and that first chill is in the air, I can’t wait to break out this fragrance.
12. Unearthen Pyramid Watch – I love everything Unearthen does and these watches are one of my favorite items from the line. I love that every one is unique.